Thursday, January 22, 2009

Ideas

Can I just make a quick point, to acknowledge one simple point of view I've come to learn? And for those who might be wondering, this is not in consideration of any particular person or conversation with which I've been involved. Just something on the tip of my brain's tongue. Or something.

Ideas, like talk, are cheap.

Writers with a block will disagree, searching with desperation in a barren mental wasteland. People who have taken good ideas and seen them through with effort and discipline will also be quick with valid examples disproving my point. To all of you, I say: "You're right, that's great, now shut up, because I'm not talking about you."

I'm talking about people who only have ideas; those who have small, flickering Christmas tree light bulbs go off above their heads about departments, processes and topics about which they have little or no knowledge nor regular participation. In short, people who have no business contributing their stupid, poorly-considered ideas to people who have legitimate abilities to act upon it. People who storm in filled with pride in their pseudo-creation, drop it on the floor like a cat with a mangled, still-kicking bird, and then flitter away as if they've got to get back to Heaven following delivery of their generous gift from the Gods, only to sulk and return after a period of time to wonder indignantly why someone didn't pick up their crusty little contribution and make something out of it, or if someone did, why it was managed so badly.

By the way, I'm dead certain that I've been this person, but I'm sufficiently horrified at my own conduct, and I'm still learning. Perhaps I'm speaking to myself in the recent past, as much as anything else.

Back to my main point: ideas are the easy part. They are a miracle in the same way birth is a miracle - yeah, the process is really exciting, but the product of said miracle had very little to do with its own creation, and was largely due to the efforts of others. The distinction is that it's the shepherding of an idea from its inception through the process by which it is made truly useful is the hard, fascinating part that is really laudable.

I've been lucky enough to benefit from not only the brilliance of others' ambitious ideas, but also the affection of their owners that brought them to share with me. Again, this post is not a rebuke of them.

I'm just saying that if you are a person blessed with an idea and you inflict it upon someone unbidden, if you did nothing to help further that idea, and further that if you feel a pissy contempt for those who did not embrace your idea and take it to the heights of success you envisioned, you've gone seriously wrong somewhere.

I, uh, I guess that's all I had to say about that.