Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Back on the chain gang

Well, I messed up and got employed again. It looks like a pretty good job, good but not great, like all the positions I end up into. A new place to hate and hope I never leave. People have a pretty dumb idea of how to live, and I can't help but join them until I figure out a better way.

Yesterday was my first day. It went pretty well, as far as I can tell.

I thought I had more to say about it, but it's slow in emerging. Plus, I feel my old familiar fears creeping back: do I say this, do I say that? I rarely set out to be provocative or hurtful, but left to my own devices I often find a way to say something someone wishes they didn't hear. Ah, it's good to be me.

I had a comedy adventure scheduled for tonight, supposed to go to Berkeley and see some public access television get made, but that's off. C'est la vie, mon ami.

I continue to push for an open mike opportunity nearby. I am in contact with one venue, and the owner seems to be swaying in indecisiveness. His default fallback is a callback: "Call me tomorrow," he says, every day this week. I don't want my impatience to spoil what could be a good thing, but chasing him is not my new hobby. We'll see who surrenders first. I am slightly proud of myself for blogging about the pursuit, which I've been wanting to do for a while.

All this also means that my already-somewhat-neglected video series on local comics is still on the back burner, but the front burner just got a whole lot bigger, so who knows when that will get done. I hope to make it a priority, stop being so precious about it, and just some stuff done and published before the lateness of the project becomes embarrassing in itself.

Finally, I continue to dream my dream of Paris. I hope and expect to return to the City of Lights this spring. Employment can only help, one would think.

Until next time, my friends.

1 comment:

Joe Crawford said...

I'm slow on the uptake, my RSS reading has fall't behind. But rock on Tom. Rock on.