Tuesday, July 19, 2016

John Bizarre

I'm sure I've written about it before, but this morning I'll dedicate the next sip of coffee and scratch of the bum to John Bizarre.

John Bizarre, in his current form, is a Las Vegas-based comedian and filmmaker. He also maintains a blog/website at http://www.bizarre.com/blog.html. His writings there slip and slide from the profound to the profane, and rarely miss a chance to be deliberately, almost obsessively silly. While his (two) books are also written without much reverence, these daily writings are what I'd expect in a way: the little building blocks of thought, speculation and everyday happenstance that decay and ferment and give eventual life to the more refined end results that entertain.

My wife and I saw John Bizarre for the first time in Fairfield, California, at a club called Pepperbellys. It was my first real live comedy show after watching stand-up for decades only on television, and John Bizarre was the right comic to jump start the experience.

Anyway, this isn't meant to come off as a creepy memorial, just a nod of gratitude to the universe for bringing back a ray of twice-weekly light for a deskbound office monkey. Bizarre had taken a few years off from social media, and only recently returned from self-imposed exile. Not only has the website been resurrected, but he's got a facebook page, too. It's a real pleasure to see him back online, and on social media again. I dig it.

No comments: