Friday, January 20, 2012

TGIF

When I was a school-aged child, I couldn't wait for three o'clock so that I could be free to play as I wished. I would stare at the clock and fiercely will it to shuffle along its way. I should have been more careful as to what I wished for.

Now that I'm 40, my days flip by like the pages of a book left open in a storm. It's Monday. It's Friday. It's Monday again.

I drive in the dark and marvel at the natural wonders of the morning landscapes, both plain and mystic with their Navy blue sky, surreal moon and creeping, glow-eyed, nocturnal fauna that most people rarely experience.

I dream of pulling over, exiting my car, my life as it now exists, and giving myself over to the haunting call of the not-yet-dawn.

I fantasize about sneaking away from my carefully, yet precariously planned life, stacked like river rocks, in a blurry, secret agent-style departure, slipping away to a new, more exciting chapter that doesn't resemble this one at all. A bon vivant in Paris. An artist in the City with intense, creative friendships and long, compelling discussions and passionate arguments that last into the dawn and solve all the world's problems and dance around the most utterly frivolous nothings with equal reverence.

The longing is persistent and distracting. I fail to resolve two truths I feel in my heart: one, that I am leading a life unprecedentedly fortunate among those of my species, even in this "modern" age. A life full of love and family and ease and comfort and opportunity. The other, that life is short, too short to always choose the bird in the hand, that my brother died at what we consider a young age without finding a true love or a passionate pursuit, a fire into which he could willingly and joyously feed the fuel of his body, mind and time. What a sad prospect.

Turning forty has been a wondrous existential catastrophe. Fairly to the day of my life's anniversary, I was struck as if by a lighting bolt with an added dimension of perception. I felt like a hiker who had paused to look back at the mountain he had half-climbed, having only seen it from the start of his journey until now. How small the routes look from up here. How lucky I was to survive some scrapes in hindsight. But most of all the way the entire journey is cast in a different light in view of my experiences so far, throwing into doubt not only the routes I take next but the entirety of the goal itself!

One of the lessons I have learned is that I am never satisfied. Even as I near a goal (when I am persistent enough to have neared it, which is too rare), I am bewitched by other twinkling distractions, drawing me away and leaving me unfulfilled, my current prize nearly but not quite achieved.

And so when I look my mid-life crisis in the face, I am powerless to recognize it for what it is. Is it the gauzy Muse, screaming truth at me across the void, gesturing madly that I may listen and follow my true course in life? Or is it a fiendish siren song, a lovely, heart-rending beseeching that I would stray and guide my little ship away from calm seas and fair weather and onto the rocks, and lament my stupidity and loss as I slip beneath the waves?

I am wholly powerless to discriminate; I truly cannot tell the difference, and at times the agony of indecision is exquisite.

Don't be so glum - it's Friday!

1 comment:

Joe Crawford said...

I vote for adventure not drowning. So far I remain afloat.